This is a repost of the information that went out from the referee coordinator. All personal information has been removed.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Detroit Downtown
1020 Washington Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48226
Cobo Hall Convention Center
Halls B & C
1 Washington Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48226
Breakfast will be served at the Holiday Inn Express from 6:30 – 9:30 a.m. Friday – Monday.
Friday, October 7, 7:45 a.m. in room 313 A&B at the Convention Center. Please be there on time because we have to release the meeting room at 8:00 a.m.
Topics to be covered:
- New 3m. on-guard lines for Saber (Ariana Klinkov)
- How strips will be marked for Saber (two arrows on the floor, and a dash on the strip)
- New Foil rule of reversing shoulders (Iana Dakova)
- Any other topics …
Lunch will be served daily from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. in room 313 A&B.
Referees Report Time
Friday 7:45 a.m.
All other days – a notice will be posted around 2:00 p.m. the day before at the BC and lunch room. The referee report time will also be available at the following web site: http://www.usfencing.org/refereereporttime.
Technical issue at the strip – Text the armor with the strip number and the issue. Additional instructions will be given during the referee meeting and posted.
The following National Event payment procedures will be used:
- Payment of honorarium and per diem is based on the final hire sheets received from the hiring official by the National Office two weeks prior to the national competition.
- If the amount of your check is incorrect by being over the amount due to you, your check will be mailed to you after the National Event.
- If the amount is under what is owed to you, you will receive the check at the National Event and the difference will be determined and sent via a separate check mailed following the competition.
- Checks will be distributed by a National Office representative on Monday from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at the registration counters outside the competition halls.
- Foreign officials who cannot be paid via ACH or check will be paid in cash for honorarium and per diem.
- Any check not picked up will be mailed after the national event.
- For out of pocket expenses, please use the Domestic Expense Form. Expense forms are due no later than 21 business days following the competition and can be mailed, faxed or emailed to the National Office (copies of receipts are acceptable).
Other Important Information
- Gloves are being inspected by the technicians and they must be in good condition.
- Saber fencers are required to have 800N saber gloves.
- During pools, NO ONE is allowed to stay inside the pods except for the referees and the fencers on the strips. During the DE, only one (1) coach per fencer is allowed to stay inside the pod when their fencer is fencing in addition to the referees and the fencers on the strips. Pod captains must not gather the fencers inside the pod during the DE such that referee with active bout will be allowed to work efficiently. No exceptions, FOR ALL WEAPONS.
- French grip epees are NOT being inspected by the armorers this season. If you have doubts about any weapon, please contact the armorers for an inspection.
- If you have not eaten lunch by 2:00 p.m. please let your assigner know.
- If you need to leave the venue, please let your assigner know.
- Referees departure date and time will be posted at the BC area and sorted with date and time, so you can easily group yourself and share a ride to the airport using Uber or taxi.
*** Last IMPORTANT note: please remember that you are hired as a referee. Under no circumstances at any time are you allowed to coach your working hours. If you are done with your work as a referee, please check with you assignor(s) first before you start coaching. We have to maintain our professional look as tournament officials.
If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to call me.
See you all in few days.