The Referees’ Commission (RC) will have three leadership positions to be elected for four-year terms beginning July 31, 2020:
- Referees’ Commission Chair
- Domestic Referee Development Chair
USA Fencing is forming a Nominating Committee to assist him in filling the vacant positions. The Executive Director or a staff member of her choice shall be the National Office liaison to the Nominating Committee. The National Office shall manage all election procedures.
The Nominating Committee will be composed of the following eight (8) individuals:
- Three (3) active referees who have indicated a willingness to serve in the position and who have worked at least one North American Cup, July Challenge or National Championship event in the 2017-18 and/or 2018-19 season(s). The individuals will be selected by a vote of referees who are eligible to fill this position on the Nominating Committee. The three referees with the most votes will serve on the Nominating Committee. If there is a tie between candidates, a coin toss will determine the winner(s).
- Two (2) members of the Referees’ Commission not running for an open position. These two members will be selected by the RC.
- Two (2) athletes to be selected by the USA Fencing Athletes Advisory Council.
- One (1) Board member to be selected by the Board of Directors.
No person may serve on the Nominating Committee who is a candidate for a vacant position on the Referees’ Commission. The Chair of the RC will select one of the two (2) RC members on the Nominating Committee to serve as Chair of the Nominating Committee. If there is a vacancy on the Nominating Committee, the body which selected/elected the previous member shall fill that vacancy.
Nominating Committee Duties
After the application period, the Nominating Committee is responsible for the vetting and ranking of candidates who have indicated an interest in filling the vacant positions and serving on the Referees’ Commission.
The Nominating Committee will review the applications and credentials for each candidate and interview selected candidates. It will then nominate two candidates for each position (unless there is only one candidate).
The open positions will be filled by a vote of referees who have worked at least one regional or national level event in the 2017-18 or 2018-19 season. A simple majority is needed. In case of a tie, a coin toss will decide the winner(s). The names of the three winners will be provided to the USA Fencing President for submission to the Board of Directors.
If you are interested in serving on the Nominating Committee for the open positions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. MST (7 p.m. EST) Wednesday, November 20, 2019. Please put “RC Nominating Committee” in the subject line.
The National Office will conduct the election for the Nominating Committee positions from December 16, 2019 until 5 p.m. MST January 16, 2020.
If you have additional questions, please contact USA Fencing Senior Director of Operations Christine Simmons (email@example.com) of the National Office at 719.866.3620.
Applications will be accepted for the three open positions beginning in early 2020.